We Care

When someone dies

When a bereavement occurs

When someone dies, at this most stressful time it can be difficult to know what to do first, who to contact and what paperwork you’ll need. The details below are just a brief overview and we can be contacted on 0161 637 7550 for more guidance:

When someone dies At Home

The doctor or surgery that has been treating your relative should be contacted. Once the doctor has attended he will ask you to contact a funeral director to come to your home – we will come at any time of day or night. The doctor will then prepare a ‘medical certificate of cause of death’ for you to collect from the surgery. “We always use a discreet private ambulance vehicle when we are called to attend” Please note that if the Doctor is unable to prepare the medical certificate or cannot be contacted for any reason then the death will be referred to the Coroner and the Police will need to be contacted to coordinate the transfer of the deceased on behalf of the Coroner to the Hospital Mortuary.

At a Nursing Home or Hospice

When someone dies at a nursing home pr hospice, simply ask the matron or staff member in charge to contact us directly, and we can then discuss the funeral arrangements with you once you feel ready to do so.

In Hospital

Most Hospitals provide families with a bereavement handbook which will contain the contact details for The Bereavement Service Team .The Team will need to be contacted, usually the following working day to discuss collection of the relevant documentation. You can still call us as soon as you feel ready to do so.

Deaths Reported to HM Coroner

Any sudden or unexpected deaths are referred to the Coroner. The Police will need to be contacted to coordinate the transfer of the deceased on behalf of the Coroner to the Hospital Mortuary. The requirement for a post mortem will be assessed according to the Ministry of Justice guidelines. Since the Coroner will be establishing the cause of death they will keep you informed as to when you will be able to register. Please still contact us as soon as you feel able to do so. You do not have to wait for the Coroners decision to speak to us and so can call us as soon as you feel ready to do so. You are under no obligation to appoint the Funeral Director who has carried out the transfer on behalf of the Coroner.

What you’ll need when you register the death

You will need to take the “Medical certificate of cause of death” with you to the Registrars and provide the full name (including maiden name for a married lady), address and date of birth. You will also need the details of where and when they died.
If at all possible the deceased’s Birth and Marriage Certificate and Medical Card should also be taken.

The Registrar will issue you with certified copies of the Death Certificate which may be needed by relevant parties, including banks, solicitors for probate, life insurance etc. They will issue a green “Certificate for Burial or Cremation”. This is the certificate we will need as your funeral director for completing the burial or cremation paperwork.
They will also issue a form to notify the Department of Work and Pensions of the death.

Registering the Death

The law requires that a death must be registered within 5 days by a near relative or someone present at the time of death.

Our help


pre paid funeral plans
Tailored Funeral

A funeral tailored to your exact requirements without restriction on products or services, whether traditional, modern or alternative.

bridge water funeral service
The Simple Funeral

Our simple funeral offer families a fixed low cost option restricted to essential services associated with a more conventional funeral.